Almost a year a go I wrote a proposal for a "Joomla Supporters Club"
Unfortunately perhaps the timing wasn't right and despite positive comments from the Joomla community the idea sadly fell on deaf ears.
Which suprised me as it was one of the most read items on this blog in the year
In the last few weeks several people have contacted me about trying again.
So never being one to give up at the first attempt I'm making another attempt to get this off the ground.
Perhaps now is the right time to finally get the Joomla! Supporters Club up and running.
- Are you a "supporter/fan" of Joomla?
- Would you like a simple and easy way to show your support?
- How about joining a "Joomla Supporters Club"?
The Joomla Supporters Club.
The Supporters Club conveys no rights or privileges and is merely a way for individuals, web sites and companies to support joomla and to receive acknowledgment for their support.
I propose three types of Supporters. These are not hierarchical levels they are just different types, no type is better than the other etc.
- Who is it for? Private individuals
- What do you get? Listing in the Supporters Club and the right to add the words "Joomla Supporter No. 123456" in a forum signature. (Or it might be even easier to link the forum user number with the Supporters club number)
- How much does it cost? $10 per annum
Web Site Supporter/Fan
- Who is it for? An individual web site e.g. www.example.com
- What do you get? Listing in the Supporters Club and the right to add a banner with a logo and the words "Joomla Web Site Supporter No. 123456" on a single web site
- How much does it cost? $50 per annum
Group Web Site Supporter/Fan
- Who is it for? A group of up to 5 web sites operated by the same person/company e.g. http://www.example.com and http://www.example2.com
- What do you get? Listing in the Supporters Club and the right to add a banner with a logo and the words "Joomla Group Web Site Supporter No. 123456" on up to 5 designated web sites
- How much does it cost? $200 per annum
For the Supporters Club concept to work I believe that it would require several things
- A public listing of all Supporters e.g. http://supporters.joomla.org (SJO)
- The banner for each Supporter links back to the SJO site for verification. An example of this process can be seen in operation at http://100.newzealand.co.nz/
- A public and transparent reporting of the revenue received from the Supporters Club and the "planned" expenditure for this income.
By calling it a Supporters Club and not a membership I do not believe that there would be any implied rights or privileges.
The $ amounts above are just suggestions and are priced at a level to take into account the different earning levels across the globe.
If at first you don't succeed try and try again.